April 23, 2014

"1984" by Sonia McBride

I wasn’t able to get a copy of the book so I listened to an audio version. After listening to a portion of the book I eventually stopped because I wasn’t comfortable with the content. I went to the internet to find notes on the book. I was curious if the notes made from the section of the book I read were accurate and reliable. To my surprise they were. I chose to read the notes. I have many thoughts but will just share a few.

In the book 1984 George Orwell showed a nation where many freedoms and privileges that are so important to us had been completely taken away. Some may say, “All is well in Zion”, however, many of our freedoms have already been under attack and violated. It isn't difficult to see glimpses of Oceania’s society in our own. Our rights will continue to slip away if we are not careful to defend and stand up for what we believe in and know to be right.

In President Ezra Taft Benson’s book, “An Enemy Hath Done This”, he states, “If America is to withstand these influences and trends, there must be a renewal of the spirit of our forefathers, an appreciation of the American way of life, a strengthening of muscle and sinew and the character of the nation. America needs guts as well as guns. National character is the core of national defense.” This is what I love about learning and discussing with our children. I love reading the classics together. I have observed you and your children stand for truth and what you believe to be right. I am impressed with your children and their desires to be a force for good in the world.

Benson appeals to people everywhere to heed the words of Dean Alfange:

“I do not choose to be a common man. It is my right to be uncommon. I seek opportunity to develop whatever talents God gave me—not security. I do not wish to be a kept citizen, humbled and dulled by having the state look after me. I want to take the calculated risk; to dream and to build, to fail and to succeed. I refuse to barter incentive for a dole. I prefer the challenges of life to the guaranteed existence; the thrill of fulfillment to the stale calm of utopia. I will not trade freedom for beneficence nor my dignity for a handout. I will never cower before any earthly master nor bend to any threat. It is my heritage to stand erect, proud and unafraid; to think and act myself, enjoy the benefit of my creations and to face the world boldly and say—‘This, with God’s help, I have done.’ All this is what it means to be an American.”

We have a work to do as mothers of the children God has entrusted to us. We have a work to do as families in our society. It is so important that we read the scriptures together. As a family we were reading in 1 Nephi 19 verse 23, “…I did read unto them that which was written by the prophet Isaiah; for I did liken all scriptures unto us, that it might be for our profit and learning.” It really touched my heart. If I don’t liken the scriptures to myself and my life then it’s just reading. In verse 24 it reads, “…and liken them unto yourselves, that ye may have hope…” I love that! The scriptures bring hope. We must read the scriptures and liken them to ourselves. I have read this so many times, however, it meant more to me this time since I have been pondering about how to gain understanding without having to read books like “1984”. I think one more important thing is to “remember”.

You are wonderful mothers! Thinking of you reminds me of the mothers of the Stripling Warriors in Alma 56:47,48 “Now they never had fought, yet they did not fear death; and they did think more upon the liberty of their fathers than they did upon their lives; yea, they had been taught by their mothers, that if they did not doubt, God would deliver them. And they rehearsed unto me the words of their mothers, saying: We do not doubt our mothers knew it.”

I am reminded of Ephesians 6:12, “For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.”

We must read, remember and have hope…

No comments: