March 3, 2014

The Lonesome Gods by Jesse Edwards

I loved being able to take a break and read a book that was a lighter read.  The main theme of the book that I related to, perhaps because of homeschool, was the focus on education.  It must have been rare in the set time period to have a focus on education.  I love how Johannes' father is such a wise man.  You see that from a child's perspective which is so on point.  The son idolizing the father, and in this case, the father seeming worthy of it.  I love that we are given that view of him since Johannes is so certain of his father's awesomeness.  

It led me to wonder, if I knew that I was going to die, what would be my message to my children.  If I knew I was going to die, and that perhaps they would be completely alone in the world, what wisdom would I impart?  I love that Johannes learned that he was to soak up whatever information he could from whomever he came in contact with.  That everyone has something valuable to give.  Everyone knows something you don't.  The hard part is sometimes letting go of pride to be able to open yourself to see other's greatness and knowledge, even when it appears that they might not have any thing to offer.  

That reminds me of the story of Nathaniel Ayers.  A homeless man who had been attending Julliard for cello.  He would play in the Lincoln Tunnel for acoustics, when a reporter found him and tried to help him.  He found that he had an incredible gift, it was just a matter of reaching it.  

That is the main thing I would love to take away from the book.  A genuine reaching to try and absorb all the information I can from others around me and acknowledging their greatness.  

In the book Johannes had a life that seemed to be filled to overflowing with inescapable adversity.  He had people wanting to kill him simply because they disagreed with him, or because his father was who he was, or he was heir to an inheritance.  It is a great story of overcoming adversity.  And not just overcoming, but meeting it head on.  He tried to evade it until finally he confronted it and won.  In the end can we be courageous enough to stare down our demons, fight, and come out victorious.  I think it is in all of us to succeed and win out over any trial we are faced with.  Head on.

No comments: