September 19, 2011

Wishing I had a Mentor too.....

This month we read The Student Whisper that was written by Oliver DeMille and Tiffany Earl.  I found this book to be very helpful for the stage of life I am in right now.  I have been running a book group based on Classics and TJEd books for the last 3 1/2 years.  To say that my life has been transformed during this process, would be an understatement.  But if there was one gaping whole in my education right now, it would be a formal Mentor. 

In the first half of the book, Tiffany Earl takes you back into the beginning of her life.  I could relate to her honesty and her drive to make a difference in the world.  She shares what it felt like to be mentored Oliver DeMille.  What a incredible opportunity.  As I read about Tiffany's life goals, her struggle to reach them, and the guidance that she received, I began to look at my own.  It made realize that I am on a good road.  I have experienced some stumbling blocks, but I now have the courage to keep moving forward.

The second half of the book is by Oliver DeMille.  He explains in detail, how to be come a great mentor - a Student Whisperer.  This was so insightful.  I realized that I am Student Whispering my four children all ready in my own natural style.  But I can use some fine tuning.  I believe with time, I will be able to have a Master's touch too.

Even though I might not have the privilege of being personally Mentored by someone like Oliver, I am so grateful for this book and their insights.  It has helped me on my own path and mission.

No comments: